Lothian Buses invests heavily in new vehicles, technology and partnerships to bring you an environmentally friendly service.
Our sustainable approach to travel - will transport us to a better place - a cleaner Edinburgh in a less polluted world. Lothian Buses is committed to providing a sustainable transport service that will make a world of difference to the planet and people of Edinburgh.
We acknowledge that our business activities influence the local environment so we continually work hard to reduce our impact.
For many years, Lothian Buses has invested heavily in the fleet by introducing new technologies to reduce the impact to the environment. We have converted older buses to meet current emissions standards by fitting them with an Eminox SCRT® exhaust system.
In 2011, we were the first Scottish operator to introduce double deck diesel-electric hybrid buses to the roads of Edinburgh with support from the Scottish Green Bus Fund. This began an ongoing journey to purchase buses with the latest emission technology.
Lothian Buses now has 85 hybrid buses running on several routes throughout Edinburgh and the Lothians.
The hybrid fleet is made up of 15 Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 double deck buses, 50 Volvo 7900H single deck buses and 20 Volvo B5LH double deck buses. We have also achieved four stars on the ECOSTARS Edinburgh rating scheme which assesses commercial fleets on emissions and fuel efficiency.
Our buses are:
Did you know: On average per passenger, buses produce ½ the CO2 emissions compared to a car?
What we’re doing internally
We have been working hard to reduce our environment impact internally.
Key areas include:
- Waste - reducing our waste, minimising pollution from landfilling and recycling as much as possible
- Water - minimising our use of water by operating bus wash recycling and upgrading office facilities
- Energy - carbon savings from energy efficiency and switching off electrical items
- Travel - staff actively commuting to work by bus, walking or cycling
Why are we doing this?
As a socially responsible business we are committed to reducing the environmental impact from our activities whilst providing a service which continuously meets our customers’ expectations and protects the local environment.
Did you know?
- Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce Awards 2014 - Sustainable Development
- Scottish Green Apple Awards 2013 - National Sustainability Champion
- Scottish Transport Awards 2013 - Contribution to Sustainable Transport winner
- UK Green Apple Awards 2013 - Transport Gold Award
- UK National Transport Awards 2013 - Contribution to Sustainable Transport winner
- UK Bus Awards 2013 - Environment Award winner
- VIBES Awards 2012 - Transport Award winner
- Scottish Green Awards 2012 - Best Green Large Company winner
- Green Tourism Business Scheme 2011 – Gold standard
- Scottish Green List 2010 - Top 20