Our buses and operations

See how our buses have changed since they first hit the roads in 1919. Each month we’ll post four photos of our operations from years past. 

1. Our first female inspectors

Back in 1962 the annual report carried news of the promotion of the first three women to the position of inspector. At the time there were 85 male inspectors.

2. Circular services

By the 1980’s services 34 and 35 were a complex pair of services forming an inner and outer circle between Lochend and Sighthill. The circle visited many parts of the city including Slateford, Royal Mile, Marionville, Leith, Stockbridge, Charlotte Square and Gorgie.

The service was operated from Longstone depot and a 1972 Atlantean is seen here at Sighthill terminus about to return to Lochend as a 35. (Picture courtesy John Allison)

Photo by John Allison

3. Bus shelters

Infrastructure was always progressing too. The humble bus shelter has been through many transformations since introduction. This fibreglass shelter was in use at Barnton when seen here in 1986. (Picture courtesy John Allison).

Photo by John Allison

4. Airport coach information centre

1972’s annual report displayed a picture of the then new Airport terminal and Travel Information Centre which had been opened in 1971 on Waverley bridge. Today we still have a Travelshop on the bridge but it is further along the street.